STEP 1 – PREPARING FOR SPELLCASTING
Purify yourself before any spell.
Before attempting to perform magic, you need to get into the right frame of both body and mind and cleanse away any doubts, demons or spiritual impurities that might distract you or make the spell go awry. Ideally purifying yourself should be a ritual in and of itself, and should leave your body relaxed and your mind nuclear.
- Bathe. Take a long bath, getting your skin completely clean and soaking the tension of our your muscles.
- Dress appropriately. If you have robes or other special garb for doing magic, put that on. Otherwise pick simple but formal clothes that feel light, comfortable and clean. You are asking the divine forces for a favor, so try to dress with a certain amount of reverence. If there won’t be anyone around, some witches swear by performing magic in the nude.
- Anoint yourself with the proper oils. Different essential oils can be used for different purposes, so if you like find one or more that seem appropriate and dab a little with your fingers on your forehead, and perhaps your hands, hair, face and chest as well.
Setup your space.
If you are going to be working inside, make sure you won’t be disturbed and tidy up the location where you intend to perform your spell. Visualize negative and distracting energies dispersing as you clean.
- When the space is clean physically, purify it spiritually by burning some incense, sprinkling some salt water or holy water, or playing a few clear notes on a musical instrument.
Setup a circle or altar.
You need a consecrated space to perform your ritual. This can be either a circle to protect you from the interference of negative spirits and energies, an altar to focus your dedication to a specific deity or element, or some combination of these two. You will perform your ritual within the circle or in front of the altar.
- Draw a circle big enough to sit in, or a five-pointed-star within a circle (called a pentacle). You can draw it physically or just trace it in the air with your finger or a wand. Visualize protective energy coming out of your arm as you draw, sealing off the circle from in a bubble of light. You can mark the cardinal points on the circle or the points of the star with candles, stones, or some other set of significant objects.
- Create a small raised platform on which to place a figurine of a deity or some other symbolic representation of the divine. It doesn’t have to be complicated: a stack of books will do, if you treat it reverently. Consider adding candles, crystals, an incense stand, or a couple objects close to you spiritually, such as a small heirloom or your book of spells.
Example of what you will need:
- A table with a white cloth on which to work.
- Choose the symbol and put it in the centre of the table where you will be working.
- You will need to a dish of salt for the Earth element. Put this furthest away from you in the centre of the far horizontal table edge, straight ahead of you as you face the table at which you are working
- An incense stick in a holder for the Air element, at the centre of the right hand vertical edge of the table in the centre as you face the table
- A candle nearest to you and directly opposite the salt in the centre of the horizontal edge for the Fire element.
- A small bowl of mineral water or water from a tap that has been left to run for the Water element in the centre of the left edge as you face the table.
Preparation of Your Spell
Have your spell and tools (if any) ready before you begin! Don’t start your spellcasting and then look for a spell in your Book of Shadows, Spell Books, or online once you have began the spellcasting ritual. Be prepared so the spell casting moves along SMMMMMMOOOTHLY……….
Important things to consider when casting a spell:
The moon phase, time of day, day of the week, season, astrological position, weather, etc., can all be symbolic and significant in spellcasting. For example, if you were to do a spell to help you succeed in a new endeavor, you might like to cast it on the day of the new moon, as this moon phase represents new beginnings. Then the moon growing full can symbolize your success increasing. Do some research to see what different times and occurrences mean, if you want to incorporate their significance.
Magic relies heavily on symbolism. Everything used in spellcraft — herbs, tools, colors, actions, etc. — symbolize something. By being aware of what certain things mean and using them in accordance with your intentions, you can add meaning and significance to everything you do, which can aid your mentality and make your spells more effective. Be sure to use symbols that you find meaningful and that make sense to you.
Get on the list
If you would prefer to read the “5 Step Method” in one easy to follow book, then put yourself on the list. You will be sent information on how to purchase this exclusive book.
Navigation of the Easy 5 Steps to Spellcasting: